4) 1885 A Hazelton, Pennsylvania High School School hazing Gauntlet Newspapers across the country reported that the son of Edward Turnbach died of injuries from a beating administered by fellow students on September 19.
The boy had to run between two lines of boys that struck him as he went by.
Thus, the Leggett and Berkeley deaths were written off as unfortunate accidents.
Cornell Kappa Society lost two pledges and were judged blameless.
Please email Hank Nuwer if you have more information). He was being put through the initiation when one of the hazers accidentally fell upon him. Thomas Finley Brown, 12, Is dead from injuries received while being hazed at tho Porter military academy last Monday.
10) 1900 United States Military Academy (New York) Illness that revealed hazing abuses Although the death of plebe Oscar Booz was considered illness-caused by a committee of inquiry, those members of the U. House of Representatives on the committee determined that he also had been hazed maliciously by upperclassmen. C Porter Military Academy (South Carolina) Accident during hazing. Before he died he did not give the names of the cadets who had mistreated him, and It Is said no action will be taken In the matter.
Pittsburgh Press, June 7, 1892 6) 1894 Cornell University (New York) Bystander accidental death A non-Cornell bystander accidentally died during a class prank involving deliberate use of chlorine gas. Henrietta Jackson is chronicled in an in-depth investigative feature in Hank Nuwer’s 2018 book “Hazing: Destroying Young Lives” (Indiana University Press).
7) 1898 Decatur High School, Illinois (Corrected from earlier reference to Indiana).
This would be repeated over and over right up to the present day.
8) 1899 Lawrenceville, New Jersey High School hazing (Details sketchy. Bergen, of this place, died from injuries received at a hazing at Lawrenceville. Young Bergen was twelve years old and a freshman at Lawrenceville.
18) 1905 High School Hazing (Lima, Ohio) Death following an initiation William Taylor, 13, died of pneumonia following an episode where he was rough-housed outdoors in winter by older students.